Market Recipe: Kale and Kimchi with Pork Meatballs
Kale and Kimchi with Pork Meatballs
by Chef Brittan Wilson Egbert
2 small bags of kale torn, washed and de-stemmed
1 bunch of green garlic, thinly sliced (White part only. Save the green tops for meatballs)
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 12oz jar of Kimchi (Bernhardt Farms)
1# pork sausage (Smith & Smith Farms)
1/4 cup pickled carrot minced
32oz carton Kitchen Basics Vegetable Stock
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Heat up olive oil over medium heat and saute white part of green garlic for 1 minute then add kale and the liquid from the Kimchi. Saute until slightly wilted and then remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat up the vegetable stock in a large shallow pot over med low heat.
3. Mince the bottom green part of the green garlic, the top is too tough. Mix it all together the pickled carrot and and ground pork. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
4. With wet hands form the mixture into small meatballs and and drop one into the simmering stock to check the seasoning. Taste your sample meatball and adjust the seasonings accordingly.
5. Proceed with cooking all the meatballs in small batches in the stock. When they are all cooked put them back into the stock.
6. While the meatballs are getting hot in the stock, finish the kale by adding the the kimchi to the it and saute until it is warm. Season with salt and pepper.
7. To serve, ladle the hot meatballs and broth over the kimchi and kale. Enjoy Warm!
Notes: Because I was at the market, certain ingredients were unavailable to me. I would have added 1-2 teaspoons of fresh ginger to the meatball mixture. In addition, I would normally have added 1 egg and some breadcrumbs to the meatball mixture as well.