Market Recipe: Hip Girl’s Honeyed Peaches
Prepare your peaches by bringing a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Depending on peach size, this recipe will use 1lb small (+/-2”) peaches whole or 2lbs larger peaches halved and pitted. For both sizes, drop peaches whole into boiling water and let them sit for as long as it takes for the water to return to a boil (2-3 minutes).
- Drop peaches into an ice bath while you prepare your syrup.
- Place 1/3 cup honey, 1-1.5 cups water, 2 Tbs. lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over med-low heat. Remove pan from heat.
- Peel small peaches (or peel, pit and halve larger peaches) dropping them directly into syrup saucepan as you go.
- Once all peaches are in the syrup, simmer for 5 minutes. Skim foam if necessary.
- Place a slice of fresh ginger (optional) or any dry spices directly into one quart jar.
- If water-bath canning is necessary, multiply brine recipe by amount of peaches you have. Leave ½ inch head-space and process quart jars for 25 minutes. Otherwise, loosely cap jar, let sit on the counter to cool for an hour and then place in the fridge. Keeps for about 3 months.
Visit Kate’s blog for canning tips, contact info and recipes: hipgirlshome.com