Farinata w/seared shrimp, salsa verde and caramelized onion yogurt
By L’oca D’oro
1 ¾ C Garbanzo flour
2 C water
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp spice mix, we use a mix of coriander, fennel seed, black & pink peppercorns
½ sheet pan lined with parchment
1. Whip egg white in a very clean stainless bowl to soft peaks.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients, mixed thoroughly so as there are no lumps.
3. Gently fold in egg whites to batter, mixing until there are no more streaks of egg white.
4. Heat a 6 in. non-stick pan on high heat for 2 min. Add a few drops of olive oil. Add a 2oz ladel of batter and quickly move the pan around as you would a crepe. Turn heat down to medium, where the top surface is very bubbly, flip over and cook for another 30 seconds. You are looking for a pretty golden brown farinata. Flip onto parchment and repeat.
12 jumbo gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a 12 inch stainless pan on high heat until hot. Add a tbsp of olive oil and then the whole garlic cloves (this seasons the shrimp and the oil without any bitter or raw garlic flavors).
2. Add shrimp to pan & shake pan until shrimp are spread even in 1 layer. Season with salt and pepper. Sear the shrimp on one side for one minute, flip them & sear the other side for one minute.
Caramelized Onion Yogurt
3 yellow onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 pint full fat greek yogurt
salt and pepper
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
juice and zest of ½ a lemon
1. Heat a large cast iron pan or pot on meduim. Add a drop of olive olive oil, them the thyme, garlic, onions. Season immediately to allow onions to release water & their sugars to concentrate. Turn down heat to medium low & let the onions cook until they begin to take on a very sweet aroma and are a burnt copper color, about 25 minutes.
2. In a food processor, pulse the onions, lemon juice and zest yogurt together until smooth. Season to taste.
2 bunches basil, cleaned and free of stems
1 small bunch parsley, cleaned and free of stems
2 green onions
1 anchovy, rinsed
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp Good olive oil
Juice and zest of ½ a lemon
1 clove chopped garlic
A few ice cubes
1.Blanch basil for 10 seconds insalted boiling water. Immediately strain basil into ice bath.
2. Sweat green onion in a small pan with a drop of olive oil, until the whites are barely translucent.
3. Combine basil, onions, garlic, capers, anchovy, egg yolk , lemon & ice cubes in blender. Run until smooth & then slowly incorporate olive oil. Season to taste.
1. Schmear all farinata with a big spoon of caramelized onion yogurt. Add two pieces seared shrimp per crepe, add a little spoon of salsa verde on top of shrimp.