Market Recipe: Pickled Dill Carrots
By Sheena Moore of Sheena’s Pickles
Prep time: 10 minutes. Processing Time: 10 minutes. Brine yields about 5-6 pints.
Carrots (B5 Farm or Bouldin Food Forest)
4 cups of water
4 cups of white vinegar
¼ cup of pickling salt
1 tablespoon of sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon pickling spice
Dill (Johnson’s Backyard Garden or Bernhardt’s Farm)
1. Wash carrots and cut into rounds or sticks.
2. Start your water bath by placing jars in a pot and cover jars with water. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn temperate down to a simmer.
3. In a separate pot, heat vinegar, pickling salt, and pickling spice over medium heat. Brine is ready once pickling salt has dissolved.
4. Fill jars with carrots and place one spring of dill on top. Pour brine over carrots leaving ¼ inch headspace.
5. Remove air bubbles from the jars. Do not use any metal knives to remove the air bubbles.
6. Heat lids in hot water to warm up the seal. Do not boil the lids. Simmer lids for 10 minutes
7. Wipe lid of jars and place lids on top and tighten with ring.
8. Place jars in boiling water with at least 2 inches of water covering the lids and process for 10 minutes.
9. Remove jars from water and cool on countertop under a clean tea towel
10. Label jar with date. Leave jar to cool at room temperature.
11. Place jars in refrigerator or store at room temperature for up to a year.