Whey, and Why It’s Good For You
In learning about the foods you eat and their benefits, an excellent source of nutrition that you may be ignoring is whey. This super-food is made when milk curdles and the liquid remains are drained. This liquid is additionally characterized by a thin and watery texture.
The most predominant benefit of whey is its protein compounds. It’s often solidified and used as an isolated powder or in different food product varieties. In addition to the protein source, it’s also beneficial for several reasons – which are explored below.
The Benefits of Whey:
- Whey is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals
- The protein in whey helps in muscle reparation
- Whey helps to boost the immune system
- It maintains healthy glutathione levels
- The protein source helps to curb the appetite
- Appetite control aids in maintaining a healthy weight
More Interesting Facts about Whey:
- Even though whey is a by-product of cheese, it’s also used in making other types of cheese such as cottage and ricotta cheeses around the world.
- Whey can be made from any type of milk including cow’s, goat’s, camel’s, soy and organic milk. The options are varied across the world.
- Whey can also be made from yogurt, where the liquid residue is often seen settled at the top.
- To cater to individual’s specific needs, whey is also formed in gluten-free and lacto-vegetarian varieties. This is ideal for those who are lactose intolerant and would like to get the same benefits provided, but without the allergies and side effects.
- Whey’s also popular among body building groups due to its components and muscle building benefits.
In reality, whey is a way of life for those interested in muscle building, post-workout nutrition recovery and for active lifestyles in general. Look for Mil-King Creamery at the Cedar Park Farmer’s Market to buy liquid whey. It can be sampled at the Sample the Market Booth regularly.